The church is located atop a rocky crag base and towers above the valley. The church façade leads to a staircase, the Scalone del Morti (“Stairway of the Dead”), flanked by arches, niches and tombs in which, until recent times, skeletons of dead monks where visible (hence the name). At the top of the 243 steps is the marble Porta dello Zodiaco, a masterwork of 12th century sculpture. The church itself is accessed by a Romanesque portal in grey and green stone, built in the early 11th century. The church has a nave and two aisles, and features elements of bothGothic and Romanesque architecture. On the left wall is a large fresco portraying the Annunciation (1505), while in the Old Choir is a triptych by Defendente Ferrari.
The complex includes the ruins of the 12th-15th centuries monastery, which had five floors. It ends with the Torre della Bell’Alda (“Tower of the Beautiful Alda”) The so-called “Monks’ Sepulchre” is probably the remains of a chapel reproducing, in its octagonal plan, the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem.